Aspartame

aspartam
Picture taken from www.snappygoat.com

Aspartame is an artificial sweetener, with low caloric value and intense sweetness, which is mainly used in soft drinks, chewing gum, candy and vitamin preparations without sugar. Aspartame is a dipeptide methyl ester of natural amino acids L-aspartic acid and L-phenylalanine. It is considered that Aspartame is in 75% complaints on food additives to the US Agency for Food and Drug Administration. We recognize Aspartame as E951 among the ingredients on the product label. Aspartame is 200 times sweeter than sugar, low-calorie (only 4 kcal/g) and is used primarily in low-calorie food. It is estimated that 2,000 tons of aspartame is consumed in Europe per day, and in one year around 5kg is consumed. Aspartame was accidentally discovered by chemist James M. Schlatter in 1965. Up until 1980, it was considered dangerous and was not permitted. In 1981, thanks to the persistence of the company that produces it, it was approved for use, and already in 1983, it is an integral part of beverages. Aspartame is composed 90% of two amino acids: aspartic acid and phenylalanine. However, the remaining 10% is methyl ester, which just a few hours after its consumption in the human body is converted into methanol. Methanol is a toxin that destroys myelin tissue (nerve isolation material). The permitted daily dose of methanol is only 7-8 mg, but only 1 litter of a drink containing aspartame introduces about 56 mg of methanol into our body. The main symptoms that methanol causes are headaches, dizziness, nausea, indigestion, fever, memory problems, rapid heartbeat, numbness, and the most common vision problems. It is believed that like any other artificial sweetener affects the occurrence of type 2 diabetes and obesity.

In the study on rats, the connection between aspartame and cancer was shown. Aspartame consumption in daily doses of 20 g/kg of body weight increases the incidence of malignant diseases, leukemia and lymphoma, for males and females, increases the frequency of transition cancerous kidney pelvis and ureter in female animals, and increased the incidence of malignant schwannoma of the peripheral nerves in male animals.

It may be possible that phenylalanine (essential acid, introduced in the body via food) of aspartame can be neurotoxic and may have the effect on the synthesis of the monoamine neurotransmitter thus producing inhibitory neurological problems.

It has also been shown that Aspartame can have a carcinogenic effect in acceptable daily doses, and that it enhances its carcinogenic effects if exposure to Aspartame existed during prenatal ages.

A number of scientific research studies have shown the harmful and carcinogenic effects of Aspartame, which can be found in about 6,000 food items.

 

Sources:

  1. “First Experimental Demonstration of the Multipotential Carcinogenic Effects of Aspartame Administered in the Feed to Sprague-Dawley Rats“,
    Morando Soffritti, Fiorella Belpoggi, Davide Degli Esposti, Luca Lambertini, Eva Tibaldi, Anna Rigano
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/3436681?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
  2. “Effects of stevia, aspartame, and sucrose on food intake, satiety, and postprandial glucose and insulin levels“,
    Stephen D. Anton, Ph.D., Corby K. Martin, Ph.D., Hongmei Han, M.S., Sandra Coulon, B.A., William T. Cefalu, M.D., Paula Geiselman, Ph.D., Donald A. Williamson, Ph.D.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2900484/
  3. Life-Span Exposure to Low Doses of Aspartame Beginning during Prenatal Life Increases Cancer Effects in Rats“,
    Morando Soffritti, Fiorella Belpoggi, Eva Tibaldi, Davide Degli Esposti, Michelina Lauriola
    https://healthwyze.org/archive/sweeteners/aspartame_ramazzini_foundation_rats_follow_up_study_2007.pdf
  4. Possible Neurologic Effects of Aspartame, a Widely Used Food Additive Timothy J. Maher, Richard J. Wurtmant
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474447/pdf/envhper00434-0053.pdf